Friday, November 2, 2012

Homemade Deodorant Update: Success!

I am happy to say that today is a successful Day 2 of my all-natural homemade deodorant experiment! I just came back in from an hour power walk outside in the heat of the day in Florida (3pm-ish) and am glad to announce that I am only a bit sweaty (which I expected. Duh! You sweat when you workout), but there is absolutely no smell! I swiped my hand under my arms and the first time I brought it to my nose, I smelled...nothing! I thought it was too good to be true so I did it a second time; this time, I smelled a hint of baking soda, but absolutely no stink or musk! So, in short, I am pleased. I would much rather smell like a hint of baking soda than musk any day! 

Me after my walk.
A little sweaty, but not stinky, thanks to my homemade deodorant!

My dad used it yesterday for the first time and said it "worked great." He is a contractor and works outside often (in Florida) so hearing that from him, I was tickled pink! 

I used it yesterday after shaving. I felt a bit irritated for the first hour but I think it was from razor burn; not the deodorant itself. 

I dip with these 2 fingers.

I only use about this much for both pits. A thin layer does the trick.

I must say that when I woke up yesterday (the morning after making it), I was not pleased with the consistency. Too runny for me. So, I grabbed mine and my parents' jar, poured it all back into a bowl and added 2 more heaping tablespoons of baking soda and about 3 just as heaping tablespoons of cornstarch to thicken it up a bit. I stirred it all up like before and redistributed it into my container and two separate containers for my parents. (My mom complained about my dad double-dipping! Haha!) This way, they each have their own so they can double dip all they want!

My definition of "a heaping tablespoon" 

Today, I also have my best friend, Lindsay, trying out my deodorant concoction. I'm actually surprised she wanted to, but happy at her willingness and curiosity. She reported to me from work that she is "sweating ever so slightly but smelling fine!" I would say that all in all, this stuff is working pretty well. We may not ever buy deodorant at the store again, and I am totally okay with that. 

I will be back soon to let you in on my all-natural face regimen (Honey, olive oil, baking soda. That's it). Many of you keep asking, so I want to encourage you to bare with me. It's coming soon! But, for now, take care! 

And, happy natural living =) 


1 comment:

  1. Kee Kee that cap has got to go! Lol. Awesome blog my love!!! <3

    ReplyDelete