Sunday, November 4, 2012

"But isn't eating healthy expensive?"

This is a question I get all the time as an almost-Registered Dietitian. (I am studying for my exam now and plan to take it before Thanksgiving. Pray for me, guys, and hold me to it, 'cause I keep wanting to  put it off.)

Back to the question. Want to know the cold hard truth? This may be a bit harsh, and it is probably stemming from the rage that built up inside me while watching Food Matters for the first time a few hours ago. But, listen here, come closer...

Pay for good food now OR pay way more in hospital bills later to treat the disease you developed from all the crap you put into your body over the years all because you think it's "cheaper" or you "don't have time." 

News flash: You make time for what you think is important to you, so if you don't value quality of life, well...

Seriously, we have it all wrong, America! Why does it make more sense to pop pills (containing who-knows-what chemicals) everyday than to eat real food?! Yes, THINGS THAT GROW!

Real food my family and I got from the farmer's market.
We got this plus mushrooms, tomatoes, asparagus and real honey (yum!)  for about $30.
I'd rather pay for this than random prescription drugs each month.

I will guarantee you that if you change your diet, you will feel better! I will give you a tip that I use in my daily life. At each meal, I ask myself, "Did any of this food grow out of the ground?" If the answer is "no," then I re-evaluate my meal. Add some carrot sticks, a side of grapes, a handful of nuts, anything that is real, that my body will thank me for and not attack me for eating.

In closing, please remember that you are in control of what you feed your body, so you can feed it things that make it feel good (i.e. real food) or you can feed it things that make it feel bad and develop heart disease, cancer, and the list goes on.

Or, you can continue to feed it crap, and once you develop a life-threatening disease, you can go to a doctor who will prescribe you pills that are designed to keep you in a state of dependency on those pills (because if you didn't know, it's all about money, people!) Then, once those don't work and you still feel crappy and your disease worsens, you can come pay me to tell you to eat real food. (I wouldn't mind that, though. *smile*)

Your choice.

You are probably mad at me now, but hey, friends tell you the truth. And real friends don't let friends die from eating crappy food. Now, please go watch Food Matters while you cool off. I've got nothing but love for ya.


Oh, and happy natural living =)

I know you're still mad, but you'll get over it. (P.S.- I love doctors. I have friends that are doctors. I tell them what to eat, too! Haha!)

Reader participation: What are some of your favorite real foods???

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes! Delicious! I like to cover in olive oil then roast em in the oven at 400 for about 15 minutes =)

      Delete
  2. Awesome post Kiki!! I think you should definitely talk about planning ahead as well. It is so important to have the healthy stuff on hand or you will end up making bad decisions. I found myself starving this evening and since I was not at home and had very few options I ended up eating chicken tenders and fries!!! Horrible I know but I failed to plan ahead. Let your readers know that eating healthy on a budget all boils down to PLANNING AHEAD!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip, Ruthie! I will definitely do one of those soon!

      Delete
  3. Omg, Keela, this post topic is exactly what I have not been able to stop thinking about for the past few days! Ever since the other night when I was complaining to u about my hair, I've been on a 'make everything better/healthier' kick. One of the first things I did was stop using artificial sweeteners, start drinking more water, bought more vegetables/salad/healthy snacks, and started cooking my own meals! I'm seriously trying to cut out the heavily processed stuff, and reading this post verified to me that I'm on the right track : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kayla, you most definitely are on the right track!!! Proud of you! Lindsay cut out Splenda and frozen things, and she feels 200% better!

      Delete